Tuesday, February 23, 2021

39

Ode to a Mater

You grew up on a farm
So close to the sea 
That the dew brought salt
That made you tasty

From the home of your fathers, father before
Shipped to the world & my corner Store
Big boys, better boys or ones with beef hearts
Grown on Johns Island, no better place to start

Friend to the Dukes & homemade baked bread
As bacon and letuce dance in my head.
You're the King of the salad this much is true
with cucumbers, onions & cheese that is Bleu.

Whether topping Alfredo when visiting Rome
Or spicey fried green ones, that taste just like home.
Sauces & Stews the better you make
Salt, pepper and garlic sliced next to a steak

Both pauper & wealthy bow down to your charm
As east coast and west come to your farm
You make great food better wherever you roam
While proudly declaring Charlestons your home

Breakfast & lunch, served with sweet tea
On Grouper or shrimp and served by the sea
No finer companion to grilled chicken I know
Than johns finest creation dressed for the show

I'll carry you with me, wherever I go
Then write you love letters to tell the world so
If Summer is coming and the days grow long
Red fruit from heaven will soon be be my song
R.Sweat

No comments:

Post a Comment